European Protected Species Licence

From £599

Get Your Free Quote

Our licenced experts have a 100% success rate for obtaining European Protected Species Licence’s where mitigation under licence is required to progress your development. Get in touch today to get started.

Full UK Coverage

Our experts cover the whole of the UK and we have offices in Chester, London and Birmingham.

Unbeatable Price

Our efficiency and scale allow us to keep prices low for you.

Money back guarantee

Your planning authority will accept our report, or you get your money back!

Unbeatable Speed

We know how important speed is and we complete our work as quickly and efficiently as possible.

We SAVE You Money

We work fast to help you avoid costly delays.

Unrivalled Experience

We have been operating for over 10 years!

How it Works

We know speed is important to you. That's why we are obsessed with delivering the fastest, most efficient service possible. Here's how it works:

Step 1

Fill in the form or call us

We will take your details and send you a quote explaining everything you need to know. We will also send a booking form along with the quote.

Step 2

Give us the go-ahead

Complete the booking form and email it back to us. We'll then arrange a date for your survey and get to work.

Step 3

Get Your Report

Once your European Protected Species Licence is complete we will write your report. You can make payment via a bank transfer or by card over the phone.

European Protected Species Licence Reviews

Preliminary Ecological Appraisal / Phase 1 Habitat Survey

The work was carried out efficiently and with full consultation throughout, and the report was very detailed. Charlotte went out of her way to deal with my queries and observations, and the report will adequately support our Listed Building Consent application.

5 stars
Arboricultural Impact Assessment

Matthew turned around the report in 48 hours, he was diligent and professional throughout and would highly recommend Matthew to anyone looking for this type of work done.

5 stars
Arboricultural Impact Assessment

Brilliant service needed amendment and adjusting to meet councils requirements the application approval hung in the balance Jon looked after us as well as could be asked and the application is approved we will be using your services again.

5 stars

When can this survey be done?

Jan January - yes
Feb February - yes
Mar March - yes
Apr April - yes
May May - yes
Jun June - yes
Jul July - yes
Aug August - yes
Sep September - yes
Oct October - yes
Nov November - yes
Dec December - yes

Yes Ask Us No

Learn More

First of all, what is a European protected species licence? An EPSL, as they are commonly referred to by ecologists, essentially grant the licencee (you) permission from an agency of the UK Government to undertake operations that might otherwise be a criminal offence; provided that you can demonstrate through reasoned argument that this action is unavoidable or in the overriding public interest.

This would include for example, disturbing or destroying the habitat of a legally protected species in the course of achieving your project’s objective. Unlike other ecological consultancies, Arbtech have in-house expertise for a broad range of animals, with all of our ecologists being a licence holder for one or more species. In fact, Arbtech have completed over 150 European protected species licence applications on behalf of clients like you, since 2012. Every single one was a success.

When can a licence be granted?

As well as needing a planning consent before you apply for your EPSL, there are three tests your development must meet in order to obtain your licence:

  • Absent Satisfactory Alternatives
  • Overriding Public Interest (health and safety, local or national economic benefit, etc)
  • Population Maintenance at Favourable Conservation Status

In respect to the third test, which is by far the most common and easiest to be met, Natural Resource Wales have this to say:

Your development scheme may need to be] modified to avoid or minimise adverse effects (mitigation), or that an alternative breeding site/resting place or habitat is provided instead to safeguard the FCS (compensation). Either way, you will need the advice of an ecological consultant. Along with filling in the licence application form, the consultant will need to write a method statement explaining how the work will be done to minimise any detrimental effects.

To summarise

If you are likely to undertake works that would detrimentally influence protected species or their habitats, you must apply to obtain and licence from a Statutory Nature Conservation Organisation (SNCO), such as Natural England, Natural Resource Wales, or Scottish Natural Heritage. The licence will not be unreasonably withheld if you (via Arbtech, your ecological consultants) can demonstrate that one or more of the three tests above are met. If you would like to talk to someone about your protected species site issues or an EPSL application, please call or use the form below.